Tuesday 17 May 2011

Plastic fantastic? Or naturally normal? You decide!!

I'm fortunate enough at the moment to be working part time, which gives me access to daytime television, which is horrifically fascinating! Have you seen Jeremy Kyle? Cringe!

Anyway, last week I saw 'This Morning', and watched an interview with a 'charming' 35 year old American woman calling herself 'Chelsea Charms'. This tiny 5'3" woman has...wait for it...164 XXX boobs which she has named 'Ity and Bitsy'. (Itsy and bitsy they are not!!!) Not surprisingly she earns an absolute fortune as a 'feature dancer'...read from this what you will! Apparently her boobs are still growing due to a procedure she has had which has now been banned in the EU and US. Basically, she has been injected with a polypropylene string that irritates the breast tissue, causing it to ooze liquid which then increases her breast size. Is it me? Does this sound appealing to anyone else? I mean, I know I'm not exactly flat chested, so I've never had any desire to have an 'enhancement', but really, this just sounds gruesome!! I imagine Steven King could write something suitably grim about it!

What really astonishes me about this woman's self induced malformation is, if she'd been born with unnaturally huge boobs she would undoubtedly have been a candidate for a breast reduction. Huge boobs may be the things teenage boys dream of, and apparently grown men pay to look at, but to women, they're a bloody nuisance! Back pain, lack of sleep, struggling to find nice clothes and dealing with unwanted attention are just a few of the reasons women give for wanting breast reductions. Young girls with huge boobs are often mocked mercilessly by boys at school, yet this woman has deliberately turned herself into a cartoon sex object in order to make a living. Hmmm.

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame this woman for exploiting men with her deformation. If people want to pay money to look at her, then that's their choice, but it kind of makes me think of a circus freak show.

On another program, I watched top music and film stars who have had plastic surgery to 'enhance' their looks. Some look good, and I can understand how people who depend on their looks can become obsessed with maintaining 'perfection'. Unfortunately most of these once beautiful people end up with twisted and deformed features in the name of 'perfection'. Noses are twisted and lips are inflated and uneven. Plasticine faces are pushed and pulled out of shape so that in the end they all end up looking the same. Ugly! Had they'd been born with these deformed features, would they still have achieved stardom?

It has also been reported this week that a woman in America has been injecting her 8 year old daughter with Botox to improve her chances in beauty pageants! Hmmm. What can I say? Child abuse?
I am fortunate enough to know several people who look different to others. Life has given them a face or a body that can be difficult for people, who don't know them, to look at. This is their life. They face being stared at and judged every day. They have no choice. No amount of surgery will improve their looks, yet they often face painful operations to improve, or save, their lives. How fair is that?

I also know young women who have lost their breasts to cancer. They face massive reconstructive surgery to make them feel normal, yet normal is something they will never really feel again. These women have faced leaving their children and families. They have faced having their bodies mutilated to save their lives. How fair is that?

Why do people who are born with faces and bodies that function normally, go through painful procedures and face life threatening surgeries, just to look a little bit better? Why are huge amounts of money spent to make someones lips a bit fuller, or wrinkles a little bit less defined? Why do people face death to get a smaller bum? Why are some people born with facial disfigurement that no-one can do anything about? Why do young mothers face death on a daily basis? Why?

No, I'm not happy with the way I look all the time. I could do with losing some weight, my teeth are crooked and I hate my nose, but I accept that this is the way I am. People love me despite my big bum and my wonky smile. I don't need, or want, to spend my mortgage on surgery to make me perfect, because I'm NEVER going to achieve perfect, because I don't believe it exists! Surely surgery is for things you need, not things you want! Yes, I know that a lot of people who go for these elective surgeries are suffering mentally, and their insecurity about their body or face can have serious affects on their health, but surely the help they need is psychological, not surgical?

There's nowt as queer as folk.
Unfortunately technological and surgical advances are making folk even queerer!
Where or when is it going to stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment